Today, water dispensers are an essential part of the majority of households. They help in storing and altering the water temperature as per requirement. These machines dispense the water and also cool and heat the water with a refrigeration unit. Further making them all weather usable, and requiring their cleanliness. To keep them running smoothly and output clean and fresh water, we need to clean them. Which further is not too much of a task you just need vinegar or bleach, water, and some time. This blog will give you step by step guide on how to clean the water dispenser?
There are two types of water dispensers on the market: top-loaded and bottom-loaded. To make your cleaning easy, we will take you through their cleaning both of them step by step.
Step 1: Unplug the dispenser and get the tools
Whenever you’re working with any electrical appliance, never forget to cut off the power supply.
Then get started by collecting the tools you’ll be needing to clean the dispenser. Here is the general list that can come to your use:
- Scrubbing brush
- Disinfecting wipes
- Cleaning solution(vinegar or bleach)
- Screwdriver(if your machine needs one)
- The instruction manual of your machine
Step 2: Prepare the solution or buy one
You can make the solution by adding 1 part of bleach (or vinegar) to 3 parts of water. This can be stored in bottles as well for future use. Use gloves while doing so. As a word of caution, chlorine bleach is more effective than vinegar in disinfecting anything.
Step 3: How to clean the water dispenser? If top-loaded.
Top-loaded dispensers are the basic dispensers in which water can sit atop the machine. With so many brands in the market, coming up with different designs and customization, machines can have different cleaning methods. And the question remains the same how to clean the water dispenser? Don’t worry! we will take you through a very general cleaning approach. Also for better cleaning not forget to use the device’s manual.
- Unplug the dispenser and remove the water can from the top.
- Now empty the reservoir
- Using a cleaning solution, scrubbing brush, and washcloth, scrub the valve and top of the dispenser.
- Remove the components: remove the filter, water guard, and drip tray from the dispenser. (these components may have different names depending on your machine. Look out for its manual for better understanding)
- Now clean these removed parts thoroughly with a scrub brush.
- After you are done cleaning the parts, fill the reservoir with the cleaning solution. Use a washcloth or scrub to clean the sides of the reservoir.
- Drain the water with a dispenser
- Fill the reservoir with clean water. Again scrub it. Ensure the cleaning solution is removed well.
- Drain water.
- Taste water if the taste is good.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9, if necessary.
- Put back the parts, and plug in the machine. Voila, your dispenser is easy to use again.
Step 3: How to clean the water dispenser? If bottom-loaded
A bottom-loaded dispenser is the one where the water can is fitted beneath the machine. Since the structure is different hence, the cleaning is also different. But don’t forget to use the manual.
- Unplug the dispenser and drain all water.
- Add bleach/vinegar/cleaning solution to water in a watering can and reattach this.
- Let the solution sit in the reservoir for at least 15 minutes and then drain the reservoir.
- Again fill clean water in the can, and reattach it. Allow the reservoir to fill again.
- Use the drain valve(usually at back) to empty the machine fully.
- Ensure that the water tastes good, if not, repeat the process.
- Remove the drip tray and use a scrub to clean.
While cleaning the water dispenser, remember your hands are clean or you are wearing gloves. And after you are done cleaning, try both faucets of the dispenser and check if they work properly. Still, if the sour taste persists try repeating the steps with clean water.